UPDATE FOR December 12, 2021 MEETING
Mindfulness Practice Community of Vancouver meeting online. We are also trialing a longer online format, 90 minutes instead of our previous 60 minutes (ending at 8:00pm instead of 7:30pm). We’re going for longer so that we can have more mindful activities including tea meditation and walking meditation. We will continue to re-assess the safety of in-person sangha gatherings through the coming months.
For our next gathering, please join us on Zoom:
- Time: 6:30 – 8:00pm.
- Meeting ID: 826 9710 2158
- Passcode: To be posted at mindfulnessvancouver.org about 10 minutes prior to meeting start time
December 12 will be our last meeting for 2021. We will not be meeting on Dec 26 due to the holidays. We will resume as usual on the second Sunday of January (Jan 9, 2022).
We invite everyone who joins our online sangha gatherings to practice the following together:
- Enter the online sangha space as you would any other sacred in-person space: With your full presence, open heart, respect, and without external distractions as much as possible (for example, other electronic devices / windows etc).
- Please do your best to arrive on time, and stay for the entire session if possible. If you arrive late, we will have you wait in the waiting room until the next section begins. We invite you to use that time to enjoy your breathing mindfully. Likewise, if you need to leave early, please do your best to wait until a transition point before leaving.
- In order for us to feel safe together and have a sense of togetherness with each other, please keep your video camera on for the duration of the online sangha session.
- Please keep your microphone muted when not speaking. Unmute yourself when you are speaking.
Here are some more useful resources on online sangha building and practice: https://www.plumline.org/together, and https://plumvillage.org/newsletter/isolated-yet-together-moving-your-sangha-online/
“Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh, Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
Welcome to the Mindfulness Practice Community of Vancouver. We are inspired by the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh.
Mindfulness is being aware of what is going on: in our bodies, in our feelings, in our minds, and in the world. When we are not aware of the present moment, our mind may be occupied with memories of the past or thoughts of the future. Quite often, such mental activity can result in a quality or feeling of dissatisfaction, unease or discontent. By being absent to what is happening in the present moment, we are absent to our lives which are only lived in the present moment.
Cultivating mindfulness involves being aware of where our attention is and training our mind to pay attention to the present moment. In the Plum Village tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk, we pay attention to the breath, the inhalation and the exhalation, to bring us back to the here and now. When we pay attention to the present moment, we may find – among other things – a richness and peace in the simple act of being present.
Mindfulness of the breath is a simple meditation technique which anyone can do, regardless of age, sex, faith or race. It does, however, require practice in order to establish a strong continual presence. Mindfulness and meditation have proven very beneficial for one’s mental, emotional, and spiritual health. We invite you to join us!
“Dwelling in the present moment, we practice mindfulness and engaged Buddhism in the Plum Village tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh.”
“We practice engaged Buddhism in our lives, in the meditation group (sangha) and in the community. We work for the well-being of people, plants, animals and the earth. Our practice includes meditation, deep listening and loving speech. We focus attention on mindfulness (non-judgemental awareness) and cultivating states of peace and compassion within ourselves and in our relationships. We offer service where there is real need. Our community is accessible for all people who wish to join us at our meditation evenings, retreats and other events.”
Our Regular (Twice-Monthly) Gatherings: 2nd & 4th Sunday of Each Month, Unless Posted Otherwise
Click here for information on our regular gatherings for community mindfulness practice. Updates and cancellations will be posted at this website, on our MPC listserve, our Meetup group, and our Facebook Group.